Meet Dr. Daugherty
Dr. John Daugherty is a graduate of St. Johns University and the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry. He completed a three year General Practice Residency US Army Hospital, Okinawa, Japan 1969-72 and maintained a private practice in Bloomington, Minnesota for 35 years (1972-2007). Dr. Daugherty’s practice emphasis was in the treatment areas of oral facial pain and esthetic dentistry. Dr. Daugherty retired from private practice and accepted a contract position with the US Army, Germany (2008-13) treating US service personnel with a clinical focus on head-neck-shoulder injuries/pain. This would include treating various types of headache related pain, TMJ pain, traumatic brain injuries, post traumatic stress disorders and various other combinations of pain syndromes in consultations with other medical staff. Dr Daugherty maintains an active ongoing continuing education program with the foremost educators in the area of Oral Facial Pain/Oral Medicine.
- University of Minnesota School of Dentistry (1965-69)
- St Johns University, Collegeville, Minnesota (1959-63)
Professional Practice Experience:
- Present: Private practice in Oral Facial-Head-Neck & TMJ related pain disorders, Edina, MN.
- 2008-2013: Oral Facial/Oral Medicine/Sleep Medicine, US Army, Germany.
- 1972-2007: Restorative and Oral Facial Pain private dental practice, Bloomington, MN.
- May 2015: Passed Oral Facial Pain Written Board Exam.
- 2013-2015: Oral Facial Pain/Oral Medicine Residency Program, University of Southern California.
- 2009-2010: Certificate in Oral Facial Pain, New Jersey School of Dentistry and Medicine.
- 1969-1972: General Practice Residency, US Army Hospital,
- Pankey Institute for Advanced Dental Education, Continuums 1-6.
- Dawson Center for Advanced Dental Study,
- Piper Institute, Mark A Piper, MD, DDS. Course I,
TMD Diagnosis and Therapy.
- 1999-2007: Part time faculty, University of Minnesota Dental School.
- 1993-2003: Visiting Faculty, L.D. Pankey Institute, Key Biscayne, Florida.
- 2008-2013: Germany: Various clinical seminars concerning oral facial pain/sleep medicine.
- All Caribbean Dental Society, Barbados: Two day seminars:
"Oral Facial Pain: Treatment Considerations." 2002
"Functional and Esthetic Concerns in Smile Designs of the Worn Dentition." 2001
- 1996-2000: Jamaican Dental Society: Lecture and clinical seminars on various Dental topics.
- ADA, life time member
- MDA, life time member
- American Academy of Oral Facial Pain
- 2009-2012: US Army All European Masters Champion, Ten Mile Qualifying Championships.
- 2008: Qualifier, National Olympic Distance Triathlon Championships.
- 2008: Minnesota Master's Triathlete of the Year, Honorable Mention.
- 2007: Silver Medalist, US National Half Ironman Triathlon Championships.
- 2007: US World Team.
- Martial Arts Instructor